Chief Academic Officer Job Posting
SySTEM Phoenix, a small, nonprofit public charter school located in Central Phoenix serving grades 6-10, provides all students with the substantial support necessary to prepare them for the high quality, high skill STEM jobs of the future. Our mission is to prepare the future innovative leaders of tomorrow through integrated learning environments immersed in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Qualities and Qualifications
SySTEM Phoenix is looking for a Chief Academic Officer who firmly believes that STEM education is essential for preparing students for the world in which they live and work. We seek innovators, collaborators and problem-solvers who believe that socioeconomic status should not determine access to or achievement in STEM fields. Our strongest applicants have the following qualities:
Passion: We are passionate about everything we do, from teaching to project-based learning to integrating instruction through relevant projects involving science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Grit: We work in a diverse community that requires incredible perseverance. We work relentlessly to ensure our scholars are able to overcome obstacles, meet their goals, and pursue their dreams.
Initiative: We see problems as exciting moments to grow, obstacles as challenges, and failures as learning opportunities. We jump in to help whenever we see an area for improvement.
Excellence: We strive for excellence every day, ensuring that it is felt and seen from the moment a student walks onto our campus. We take pride in establishing high expectations, clear communication, and strong accountability with all team members, resulting in an outstanding standard of excellence throughout our campus.
Chief Academic Officer
The Chief Academic Officer provides overall leadership to the academic team, ensuring the execution of exemplary instructional practices that are consistent with SySTEM’s core values, mission, and vision. The CAO is directly responsible for internal operations of the school, including Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment; Professional Development; Student Culture; and Instructional Staff Recruitment, Retention, and Evaluation.
Qualities of the Ideal Candidate
- Belief in the SySTEM Phoenix mission, vision, core values, and educational model
- Experience working in Title 1 schools
- Experience with integrated, inquiry or problem-based approaches to teaching
- Experience leading teachers to meet ambitious academic goals, especially when working with students from diverse, low-income backgrounds and students with significant academic gaps
- Experience developing and implementing high quality curriculum and assessments
- Experience leading high quality professional development for teachers
- Experience building student culture and managing student discipline
- Experience recruiting, retaining, and evaluating teachers
- Ability to self-reflect and take responsibility for professional growth
- Strong technical skills, experience managing and manipulating student achievement data
- Fiercely organized and execution-oriented (experience managing many moving parts in a classroom and consistently improving student achievement)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-performing, but sometimes unpredictable environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university (Master’s Preferred)
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Highly Qualified in two or more subject areas
- Five years minimum teaching experience at the elementary, middle, or high school level
- One year minimum school administrative experience
- Experience in a diverse, urban public setting preferred, but not required
How to Apply and Compensation
We offer a competitive compensation package and comprehensive health benefits, including a 3% matching retirement plan. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To apply, email your resume, cover letter, and a copy of your FCC to email@example.com